Research and Visitation Policies
To Schedule a Visit:
Governor’s House Library is open only by advance appointment, Monday-Friday 10 AM-4 PM. We ask that researchers schedule appointments at least 5 business days in advance to ensure that we can accommodate your request and so that our staff has sufficient time to retrieve collection materials which are stored in multiple locations. You may schedule an appointment by phone (904-770-3249) or by email.
Planning Your Visit:
Researchers are encouraged to email or telephone at least 5 business days in advance of their visit to ensure materials are available for use. Our finding aids – available on the “Our Collections” page – include detailed container lists that provide information about the folders or items in our collections. Please consult with library staff ahead of your visit to ensure the materials you are requesting will be available at the time of your visit.
NOTE: The Research Collection is currently being reprocessed for better access. If you plan to use this collection during your visit, please contact us to consult on the current state of the collection and its availability.
Using the Collections:
- Due to their value, physical condition, and uniqueness, our materials do not circulate and must be used in Governor’s House Library. Our materials require special handling and security precautions to ensure their preservation. Researchers will be assigned a table at which to work
- Drinks (including bottled water), food, gum, tobacco, e-cigarettes, etc., are not permitted
- Personal items allowed at the table include pencils, paper, laptop computers and tablets, cell phones, and cameras.
- Pens, highlighters, sticky notes, and other office supply items are not allowed on the table
- Ask staff about duplication procedures and permissions. Permission to scan is contingent upon the condition of the paper and any fastening methods. You are encouraged to bring a digital camera to take photographs of most materials. Personal scanners have to be approved by the staff
- Handle items with care:
- four books or one box on the table at a time
- one folder may be removed from a box on the table at a time
- do not rearrange items in boxes or folders; insert file marker into the box when the folder is removed
- do not remove metal fasteners from materials or cut unopened pages; ask staff for assistance
- some items require specialized handling procedures that will be explained by staff
- Items requested from our off-site storage facility require 10 business days advance notice
- The last retrieval of the day will occur one hour before closing; later requests available by 10 am the next day
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright law and further restrictions placed by donors. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to infringement of copyright. Researchers are responsible for securing permission to publish from materials under copyright.
Our staff can provide assistance via email or phone regarding the contents of and access to our collections as well as brief answers to factual questions; however, we do not have the resources to do extensive research for our patrons. If a question requires more than an hour of staff time, we may suggest arranging for an on-site appointment.
Accessing Governor’s House Library.
Governor’s House Library is located on the second floor of Governor’s House Cultural Center and Museum, at 48 King Street, St. Augustine, Florida.
We are committed to ensuring access to library collections and services for individuals with disabilities. It is library policy to respond to requests for assistance needed in a timely manner. Please contact us with any assistance needs or concerns. The second floor of the building, where the library is located, is accessible via elevator.
The building has a small parking lot and is available to registered visitors on a first-come, first-served basis. If the library lot is unavailable, the City of St. Augustine has many parking options. Information about city parking is available here.