Governor’s House Library Support
In addition to ongoing direct support from UF Historic St. Augustine, Inc., and the George A. Smathers Libraries, the Governor’s House Library is fortunate to receive funding for special projects to process, preserve, and promote historical resources.
With both internal and external funding, we have completed multiple grant projects relating to St. Augustine and the collections at Governor’s House.
- Opening St. Augustine: Preserving & Providing Access to 450 Years of American History. (National Historical Publications and Records Commission, 2017-2019). With federal grant funding we completed a project to arrange, describe, preserve and promote the availability of over 25,000 photographs, maps, and architectural drawings. NHPRC support enabled UF to hire a project archivist for this important project. Finding aids for these collections are now available on our Collections page.
- Government House Archives Processing (Smathers Libraries Mini Grant, 2014-2015). PI: Tom Caswell. Co-PI: John Nemmers. Archivists processed the archaeological files, research files, administrative files, and block and lot files in the Governor’s House Library and a finding aid was published online.
- Unearthing St. Augustine’s Colonial Heritage (National Endowment for the Humanities, 2012-2015). The objective was to digitally preserve a collection of hidden and fragile resources related to colonial St. Augustine, consisting of over 20,000 maps, drawings, photographs and documents. The majority of the digital content was contributed by partners the City Archaeology Program and the St. Augustine Historical Society, but selected maps and photos were digitized from Governor’s House Library.
- Saving St. Augustine’s Architectural Treasures (National Park Service and National Endowment for the Humanities, 2010-2011). This was a collaborative project with Flagler College as lead partner. We successfully conserved and digitized 260 architectural drawings for the National Historic Landmark Hotel Ponce de Leon and the Flagler Memorial Presbyterian Church designed by the Carrere and Hastings firm. These collections are on deposit with the Architecture Archives at the George A. Smathers Libraries.
- Historic St. Augustine Block and Lot Files Digitization (Smathers Libraries Mini Grant, 2008-2009). This project allowed us to successfully digitize 85% of the Block and Lot Files in Governor’s House Library.